When I was growing up I was always one of those girls who wanted travel, go on a mission, finish my education, etc etc etc before I had kids. I didn't really want to go to Ricks College at first because I knew that that it was famous for matching people up, I had a boyfriend on a mission who I was desparately in love with. However, when it came right down to it, I knew that Ricks was the right place for me, and so I went there, and I really enjoyed it. I think that it caused me to see the way my priorities should be. Even so, I still wanted to experience life and learn and see all things life had to offer befoe I got married and had children. Well, obviously it so didn't work out that way for me. I ended up with a wonderful husband and a premie baby girl not even two years after I graduated from high school, and while it was a difficult road, I am so glad I chose it. I never got to travel, I haven't finished school (yet- still working on that one), and life still surprises me with its unexpected outcomes.
The reason for my more reminiscent side coming out is the fact that I have turned into the "soccer mom" that always seemed so dreadfully boring growing up. I am in that very phase of life that I never could quite imagine myself in, and I know with all my heart that it is the most important thing I could be doing. It occured to me yesterday when I took Seth to soccer practice and spent a quite enjoyable 1/2 hour in the car watching him and talking to Lyndi. Sitting there, I had a moment when I realized that my children have brought me more joy than all of my big dreams and ambitions before I was married could ever have brought. Sometimes those kind of moments are a nice reminder that I am on the right track, even though it is not always fun or easy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You're a good mom Monica! We sure had a lot of fun that year at Ricks! Remember the newspaper?
Why do you insist on making me tear up?
Yes, I couldn't have said it better myself!
Amen to that one!
Post a Comment