Sunday, June 15, 2008

Our fencing project.



A few weeks ago our fence blew over, as referenced in a previous post. We talked it over and decided to build a new fence ourselves (famous last words). The guy at Lowes said, "oh yeah that is a really easy DIY project!" First I had to go home and figure out what DIY meant (do it yourself). Then I spent several hours on the phone trying to get people to quit putting me on hold and actually answer my questions. Finally I decided to switch stores and go with Home Depot. It has been coming along okay. yesterday we poured concrete and set the posts. Tommorow hopefully we can trim the posts so they are all the same height and put up the horizontal boards. The rest of the week we will put up the other boards. I am so naive about things like this, so I believed the guy, and foolishly thought, "this will be a simple project". It turns out to be an extremely not simple project and very expensive. It has gone relatively smoothly, it is just kind of labor intensive and extremely time consuming. This is mostly because not only do we have to build a new fence but we have to take down the old one....bummer. In the pictures you can see the posts and large piles of old rotten wood, which would be our old fence. The picture of the front of our house is just to satisfy my own prideful self because last year at this time it looked....well, like crap. We have done sooooooo much work. We are pretty tired of it but look forward to how it will be when we are finally all done.
Such is the life of a homeowner.

2 comments:

EmWJ said...

Wow! Your lawn looks fabulous! Good luck with the fence!

Jeanne said...

Monica, I am late to this post, but your fence looks great. I look at it every time I drive by. And I have also come to the conclusion through our own DIY projects that nothing is as simple as it seems, otherwise our courtyard would have been done last fall!!!! As well as many other projects.